Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Freewrite 1

As far as accents go, pronunciation doesn’t matter primarily because the person(s) can’t help it. However, I do think that pronouncing someone’s name differently than that preferred of is like having another name altogether. My opinion on this is based solely from experience.  I’ve had my name mispronounced on several occasions and various times I wouldn’t acknowledge the individual simply because it wasn’t the way I was used to hearing it. In my mind, the different pronunciation led me to think that there was someone else with the same name who pronounced theirs differently. The way you pronounce someone’s name is also based on spelling. I’ve encountered another girl with a name very similar to mine, but one letter change in her name turned the pronunciation of it into something I had never heard of or would’ve thought of! My name, Brianna, is pronounced Bree-ana whereas hers (spelled Breanna) was pronounced Bree-auna. Crazy, right?

1 comment: